Kali Linux is a Debian-based Linux distribution aimed at advanced Penetration Testing and Security Auditing. Kali Linux contains several hundred tools that are geared towards various information security tasks, such as Penetration Testing, Security research, Computer Forensics, and Reverse Engineering. Kali Linux is developed, funded, and maintained by Offensive Security, a leading information security training company.
Kali Linux was released on the 13th March 2013 as a complete, top-to-bottom rebuild of BackTrack Linux, adhering completely to Debian development standards.
Steps to Reset the Root Password
Many of you are using Kali Linux and have you ever forgot your root password? If you enter the wrong password, it is going to say that the password is incorrect and to try again. At this point, you should simply restart Kali Linux.
Below are the steps that how you can reset your Kali Linux password.
1. Power on/Restart your Kali Linux Machine
2. When the below boot screen appears, press the ↑ key to stop the “Booting in x seconds” counter.
3. Select the first option “Kali GNU/Linux” which is highlighted.
4. Press the "e" key to enter the GRUB menu edit mode.
5. Find the line which starts with "Linux" as shown in the screenshot.
# passwd root
9. Enter the new password then retype the new password.
Now you can log in to the system with the newly updated password.
I hope friends you understand. Thanks for reading this article.